Re: Choosing a name for the HTML5 XML serialization, was: The only name for the xml serialisation of html5

On Wed, 2007-10-31 at 17:35 +0000, Philip Taylor (Webmaster) wrote:

> Dean Edridge wrote:
> >
> > Julian Reschke wrote:
> >> Just two thoughts here:
> >>
> >> - If the HTML WG thinks that the name is not important, then, it
> >> seems, the right way to address this is to stop using it and make the
> >> XHTML WG happy.
> >
> >> - If the HTML WG thinks that the name is not important, then.....
> >
> > The HTML WG does not think it is "not important". There's almost 500
> > people in this group. We haven't had a vote on it.
>
> Perhaps one of the joint Chairmen could advise the group on how
> an individual member may move a motion, which if seconded and
> supported, will lead to a binding vote.

Is that from Robert's Rules of order? This WG doesn't
operate by Robert's Rules.

Our decision policy is in our charter:

"As explained in the Process Document (section 3.3), this group will
seek to make decisions when there is consensus. We expect that
typically, an editor makes an initial proposal, which is refined in
discussion with Working Group members and other reviewers, and consensus
emerges with little formal decision-making. However, if a decision is
necessary for timely progress, but after due consideration of different
opinions, consensus is not achieved, the Chair should put a question
(allowing for remote, asynchronous participation using, for example,
email and/or web-based survey techniques) and record a decision and any
objections, and consider the matter resolved, at least until new
information becomes available."
http://www.w3.org/2007/03/HTML-WG-charter.html#decisions

As I said yesterday in this thread...

"I'm inclined to leave this to the editor's discretion, as it
doesn't directly impact interoperability; it's not the sort of
thing that shows up in software, markup, and test cases."

That is: I don't think that a formal WG decision regarding
the name of the XHTML 5 serialization is necessary.

>   I find it somewhat
> unsatisfactory that issues as important as "What should we
> publish first ?" are subjected only to a "informal poll"
> rather than a binding vote

[more on that separately, as it's not directly relevant
to this thread, "a name for the HTML5 XML serialization" ]

gpg D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E