Re: Meeting with SVG, XHTML, WAI people to move forward on ARIA as a cross cutting technology

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007, Henri Sivonen wrote:

> I think we should figure out a clean way to do ARIA in particular and
> not to try to establish a new generalized namespacing mechanism.

I agree, and it's not clear to me how we even ended up considering a new
generalized namespacing mechanism here.

I consider the use of an underscore in the "aria" attribute names to be
unacceptable from an HTML5 point of view, for the reasons I detailed in my
last e-mail in this thread. I have not seen any rational and valid
arguments against using the hyphen. I would also be happy with no
delimiter at all (ariadisabled, ariachecked).

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007, Richard Schwerdtfeger wrote:

> underscore works fine too and we don't run into the hyphen problem in
> SVG.

The underscore _doesn't_ work fine too, for the reasons I listed in my
earlier e-mail in this thread. On the other hand, the hyphen works
absolutely fine in SVG, indeed it is how SVG works in general -- almost
all its attributes are hyphen separated! Any attributes we add to that
namespace *should* use hyphens specifically for that reason.