Re: Justification for the cite attribute on ins&del

On Oct 11, 2007, at 20:24, Chris Wilson wrote:

> Henri, I think that depends on your definition of a UA.

Yeah, but by default, it is reasonable to expect HTML 5 requirements
for UAs in general to apply to browsers.

> My expectation (as a browser developer) has always been that an
> accessibility tool would enable the following of such a link;
> exposing the link to the AT is our responsibility in the browser.
[and later]
> Whoops!
>
> Replace "AT" with "editing system".

Are there actual editing systems that use HTML as their file format,
store reasons for changes in external files and point to them using
the cite attribute?

Earlier today, I was notified of markup that used the cite attribute
and had traits that suggested it was generated by Microsoft Office.
However, that markup didn't use the cite attribute to point a
resource explaining the change. Instead, the attribute had been
twisted to store the identity of the maker of the change by
prepending mailto: to what looked like a userid.

> Was your [2] reference intended to be a separate issue, or were you
> drawing an analogy?

I was pointing out a message that went even further and questioned
the <ins> and <del> elements themselves instead of questioning an
attribute on those elements.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi