Re: the market hasn't spoken - it hasn't bothered to listened [was Re: fear of "invisible metadata"]

Gijs Kruitbosch wrote:
>  As Aaron already said, everyone agrees it would be great if we got
> authors "accessibility for free", but this is only possible if the
> functionality of these accessible elements is constrained. Authors
> will always move beyond the boundaries of such constraints, where
> accessibility isn't for free. They'll want a circular progressbar, or
> an animated SVG icon while the <video> is loading, or there'll be this
> one bug in this one large-amount-of-marketshare-browser which stops
> them from using the builtin element, or...
I believe that XBL provides the long-term solution to this problem. An
author who wants a circular progress bar puts a <progress> element in
the source and uses XBL to create a custom widget that works in exactly
the way they want. This provides the needed semantics to ATs yet allows
authors to customize the rendering however they like.