Re: the market hasn't spoken - it hasn't bothered to listened [was Re: fear of "invisible metadata"]

longdesc is about social responsibility and about the message we send
to people with visual impairments if we drop it without coming up
with something *at least as good or better*. It is not about market
share.

Many things in the educational sector or in the news media, cannot be
sufficiently described with the "alt" or "title" attributes alone.
How do I explain to a visually impaired person the content of a pie
chart, a complex flow chart or other graphical representation of
scientific data, a poll, the result of a customer survey? Although
the "alt" tag is not limited to any number of characters, to my
understanding it is meant to provide a short(!) description of an image.
What about e-books? The WWW is a huge chance to finally give the
visually impaired access to thousands of books, newspapers,  etc.
without waiting for the braille version that may or may not be
published one day.

As I stated earlier, the fact that a tag, attribute etc. is not
widely used or is not used properly should not be an argument to drop
it.
For example, dozens of web sites don't use  "alt"  in a meaningful
manner (eg:  alt="photo" rather than alt="my Golden Retriever puppy
Buster"). About 95% of web sites are not valid HTML. Does that mean
"the market has spoken" and we are no longer required to use
meaningful alt text and that we can abandon validation all together?

Again, as long as we don''t have something better than longdesc we
should keep it in.

Please also read this article regarding a ruling in which a federal
judge allows to sue a retailer if its website is inaccessible to the
blind (Northern District of California Case No. C 06-01802 MHP)
http://soap.stanford.edu/showlog.php?weblogid=53 and http://www.out-
law.com/page-7285.
Looks, like people start demanding accessible websites rather than
just  patiently waiting for businesses and the developer community to
stop ignoring them.

Regards,
Monika