Re: the market hasn't spoken - it hasn't bothered to listened

At 9:23  +0100 28/06/07, Philip TAYLOR wrote:
>Therefore I support those who advocate
>ensuring that a textual (or aural, or braille, or whatever)
>description of a /summary/ of the video content be required
>as an child-element or attribute of whatever element is used
>to embed the video.

I agree with the sentiment, but I think making it a requirement is at
best ineffective, and at worst counter-productive.  Having
"accessibility stuff for conformance" as the annotation is not an
improvement over not having it at all;  and indeed, it might make
accessibility worse.  How?  Well, user agents might do something
intelligently assistive if the annotation is detectably absent, but
are unlikely to detect the case when it is present but worthless.
--
David Singer
Apple/QuickTime