Re: usefulness of longdesc & digitization of books & historical works [was Re: fear of "invisible metadata"]

James Graham wrote:
> I am less sure about this, at least in the context of the example
> given. I can imagine no reason that information could not be included
> either as additional content on the page containing the image or as an
> external resource connected by a perfectly ordinary hyperlink. Why is
> this not the case?

Although the "real answer" is "because the author wanted it to be less
blatant, i.e. it was a peripheral piece of information that would
clutter the page most would see, including those who couldn't care less
about Cornwall, or whatever.

Love.