Re: About dropping the style attribute

On Jun 26, 2007, at 13:04, Jens Meiert wrote:

>> I've realized now that the current spec drops the style attribute for
>> all elements except for the <font>, but I can't understand the
>> reasoning behind those decisions.
>
> And neither do I,

As can be discovered by following the URLs in my previous message to
this thread, it was a failed attempt to attach the stigma of the
http://krijnhoetmer.nl/irc-logs/whatwg/20070503#l-494

> The usual way to address that is by setting "width" and "height"
> attributes which should be replaced by the "style" attribute (that
> is presentational by design).

In my opinion, it is extremely silly to think that height='' and
width='' are bad but style='width: ...; height: ...;' is good. I'd
rather have height='' and width='' on all elements that are replaced
elements in the normal case.

>   2. Delivering the ad with 'border="0"' (or worse). (Presentational.)
>   3. Delivering the ad with 'style="border: 0;"'. (More kids in town.)

Those are both presentational. (I'm not implying that presentational
was bad.)

> Consequently, I consider it not necessarily wise to drop the
> "style" attribute.

I agree, FWIW. (Perhaps for different reasons, though.)

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi