Re: mixed signals on "Writing HTML documents", tutorial, etc.

Dan Connolly wrote:
> When introducing the language to authors, I prefer to stay within
> the bounds of XML. I understand from instructors that this goes
> over well with students. (I hope some of the instructors on this
> list will chime in to give 1st-hand evidence.)

Actually, teaching XHTML to beginners is a mistake because it's much
more complex than people think, and it's usually taught under HTML
conditions, which provides no real benefits whatsoever.

http://lachy.id.au/log/2005/12/xhtml-beginners

> So I'd present that as:
>
> <!DOCTYPE html>

That's a perfect example to illustrate my point.  In XHTML, that DOCTYPE
is unnecessary and meaningless.  In HTML, the xmlns is unnecessary and
meaningless (it's only permitted because it's so widely used and
harmless).  Don't waste time teaching useless features.

If you think it's easier to always use end tags, always quote attribute
values, etc., then teach that as good practice in HTML.  There is no
need to use XHTML for that, especially it's just being taught under HTML
conditions.

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/