Re: ready to publish "HTML5 differences from HTML4"?

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 01:38:05 +0200, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
wrote:
> Although you didn't list me specifically, I also reviewed the document.
> I think the document is worth publishing soon, but I would request two
> specific changes:
>
> 1) In the introduction, please make it more clear that HTML5 itself is
> not final, and that some of the differences listed in this document may
> be subject to change and some may currently exist solely due to
> particular issue areas not having been addressed yet. Also, further
> changes may be added in the future.

I added a subsection called Open Issues:

   http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/html5/html4-differences/Overview.html#open-issues

The Abstract of the document mentions this as well and the document is
quite explicit about "draft". I hope this is clear enough.

> 2) Possibly mention some of the controversial changes currently under
> review. Possible things to list here: de facto semantic definitions for
> some formerly presentational elements; details of accessibility /
> media-independence features; style attribute; repetition model.

I mentioned these. I also mentioned that the list is not exhaustive.

> I specifically disagree with those who think the most controversial
> issues must all be resolved before publishing anything. Publishing the
> differences document will expose knowledge of these changes to a wider
> audience and possible bring more useful input into the conversation.

It actually received lots of attention already on blogs and the feedback
on HTML5 and the differences document so far has been remarkably positive.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>