Re: ready to publish "HTML5 differences from HTML4"?

On Jun 23, 2007, at 11:31 AM, Dan Connolly wrote:

> The differences document is nice and short; it has gotten
> a generally positive reaction.
>
> I suggest this WG should publish it in its present form.
> http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/html5/html4-differences/
> Overview.html
> $Revision: 1.22 $ of $Date: 2007/06/23 15:22:05 $
>
> Before I put the question formally, I'd like to have a few
> WG members read the whole thing and tell us whether they
> concur with my suggestion.

Although you didn't list me specifically, I also reviewed the
document. I think the document is worth publishing soon, but I would
request two specific changes:

1) In the introduction, please make it more clear that HTML5 itself
is not final, and that some of the differences listed in this
document may be subject to change and some may currently exist solely
due to particular issue areas not having been addressed yet. Also,
further changes may be added in the future.

2) Possibly mention some of the controversial changes currently under
review. Possible things to list here: de facto semantic definitions
for some formerly presentational elements; details of accessibility /
media-independence features; style attribute; repetition model.

I specifically disagree with those who think the most controversial
issues must all be resolved before publishing anything. Publishing
the differences document will expose knowledge of these changes to a
wider audience and possible bring more useful input into the
conversation.

Regards,
Maciej