Re: HTML5 differences from HTML4 editor's draft

Johannes Lichtenberger wrote:
>> http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/html5/html4-differences/Overview.html
>
> I don't really understand what "The a element without an href attribute now
> represents a "placeholder link"." means, I can't really imagine what a
> placeholder link should be or what it's used for.

It just means that it's where a link would ordinarily be, but currently
isn't.  For example:

<menu>
</menu>

In this example, Products is a place holder link to the current page.
It's a way keep the menu the same, without actually linking to the
current page.

One advantage is that allows to you easily style it differently from the
other links, to indicate that it is the current page, without requiring
an additional class.  e.g.

menu a { /* Styles for current page */ }
menu a:link { /* Styles for other links */ }

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/