dropping longdesc attribute

On 6/18/07, James Graham <jg307@cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> Actually, longdesc is not included in the current draft of HTML5. Are
> there a non-negligible number of sites that actually use longdesc in a
> useful way?

When was the longdesc attribute taken out? It wasn't mentioned as
dropped in the 'HTML5 differences from HTML4' document last week or in
the previous whatwg differences doc [1]. But now I see that it is in
fact listed as dropped [2]. Guess I need to read the actual spec
closer. Maybe we need a differences of the differences document ;-)

Anyway, what rationale for dropping longdesc?

Thanks,
Laura

[1] http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/Differences_from_HTML4#Dropped_Attributes
[2] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/html5/html4-differences/Overview.html#dropped-attributes