Re: Versioning re-visited (was : mixed signals on "Writing HTML documents", tutorial, etc.)

On 21 jun 2007, at 17.57, Philip Taylor (Webmaster) wrote:
> Yes, it might be helpful
> if the validator said (e.g.) "Although your document is
> valid HTML 2.0, it is not valid HTML 4.01 which is the current
> standard", but that is as far as I want it to go : I most
> certainly do /not/ want it to say (in effect) "I have ignored
> your DOCTYPE directive and am validating against the most
> recent version of the standard"

Agreed. The more I think about versioning, the less sense it makes to
remove it.

>> 1. poor authoring practices should NOT sway or inform our decisions
>
> I for one am not the least bit interested in helping to design
> a markup language for those too lazy to think : authors who merely
> "copy-and-paste the boilerplate text" should /not/ be the target
> of our efforts;

Good to see I am not alone in having this opinion. I am yet to see a
single acceptable argument for breaking or refusing to improve HTML
because some people cannot be bothered to learn it.

> that are (a) maximally accessible (surely the first criterion),

Yes, that is my priority number one as well.

/Roger

--
http://www.456bereastreet.com/