Re: mixed signals on "Writing HTML documents", tutorial, etc.

I'm probably not enough of a qualified expert to review this properly but
I'm sure in the future it will be my job to convince new people to actually
sit down and read some of this stuff so here are my thoughts on

http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/section-writing.
html

8.1.2.4. Optional tags
Certain tags can be omitted.

Wouldn't it be better to say that implementers (browsers) are required to
support documents under circumstances where certain tags were omitted but
authors must strive for proper valid markup....or is the official position
of the working group that there's nothing wrong with omitting html, head,
and body tags in an html5 document?

If not, and if this page is for authors and not implementers, should this
section even be on this page?

8.1.4. Character entity references
Show examples of each

> Comments must start with the four character sequence U+003C LESS-THAN SIGN,
> U+0021 EXCLAMATION MARK, U+002D HYPHEN-MINUS, U+002D HYPHEN-MINUS (<!--).

How about:
Comments must start with the four character sequence <!--.

And the <!-- part can be in a span with the title attribute
Title=" U+003C LESS-THAN SIGN, U+0021 EXCLAMATION MARK, U+002D HYPHEN-MINUS,
U+002D HYPHEN-MINUS"

....but for longer ones this would be useless since most browsers don't show
the tool tip long enough and also don't break things into easier to read
multiple lines :(

Is there anything in html5 that addresses that problem?

--
::   thyme online ltd
::   po box cb13650  nassau  the bahamas