Re: The term "HTML elements"

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 21:15:19 +0200, Mike Brown <mike@skew.org> wrote:

> In section 1.4 (Terminology) it's still not 100% clear to me whether
> "HTML
> elements" such as those that would be returned by
> HTMLCollection.namedItem(key), would include elements with names not
> found in
> certain unmentioned specifications such as HTML 4.01.
>
> I mean, it's insufficient to just say "UAs conforming to this
> specification
> will place elements in HTML" -- which elements are those? -- "in the
> http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml namespace".

It's a statement of fact. The parsing section requires that all elements
are placed in the XHTML namespace.

> Which elements, if any, would not be in that namespace?

None.

> I encounter HTML
> documents all the time with custom elements in them; would such elements
> be
> required to be in that namespace? As a facetious example,
> <DIV><MARQUEE>hello</MARQUEE></DIV> ... would both the DIV and the
> MARQUEE be
> in the XHTML namespace?

Yes.

> What if there are explicit namespace declarations?

HTML doesn't have namespace declarations.

> What if there's an XML DTD overriding the namespaces?

HTML doesn't have XML DTDs.

> Does the parser type (HTML, XML) make a diference?

Yes. The statement only applies to text/html (i.e. the HTML parser). XML
is a different story.

--
Simon Pieters