Re: Allow other doctypes

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007, Ben 'Cerbera' Millard wrote:

> I propose making the HTML4 Strict and XHTML1 doctypes conforming, in
> addition to <!doctype html>.

They already are. They're conforming to HTML4 and XHTML1 respectively.
HTML5 doesn't have to make them conforming (indeed, if it did, it would
just be confusing, IMHO, since you could then have a document that
looked like it claimed to be conforming HTML4, but was conforming HTML5
and _not_ conforming HTML4).

> It's a bit sad, imho, to say all currently conforming HTML4 and XHTML1
> documents will become non-conforming solely because they use a sequence
> of bytes which is not the shortest possible but does exactly the same
> thing.

Conforming HTML4 and XHTML1 docs will not become non-conforming HTML4 and
XHTML1 docs. They'll remain conforming HTML4 and XHTML1 docs. They won't
be conforming HTML5 docs because they aren't HTML5 docs in the first
place. I don't see this as a problem.