Re: [doctype] useless/not required or useful/required

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 10:44:08 +0200, Jens Meiert <jens.meiert@erde3.com>
wrote:

>> It says a DOCTYPE is only useful for triggering standards mode. It
>> points to a document that says the same and elaborates on that point
>> a lot. What else do you want it to say?
>
> I /propose/ to add one, two sentences /why/ the Doctype has been
> simplified, in a document that is indeed targeting HTML 4 /differences/,
> but is /probably/ not damaged by adding short explanations of key
> concepts.
>
> If that suggestion doesn't reach consensus, fine.

It was "simplified" because none of the other information was needed.
<!doctype html> is enough to trigger standards mode in existing browsers.
If, based on this information, you would like to propose some specific
text changes that would be cool and I'll look into integrating them. I'm
not really sure how to make it more clear myself.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>