Re: mixed signals on "Writing HTML documents", tutorial, etc.

At 02:42 PM 6/14/2007, you wrote:

>I'm getting mixed signals. The tasks survey
>shows 42 people interested in tutorial development,
>but I'm struggling to get any tangible progress in that
>direction.
>
>I'm sympathetic to arguments like
>"I think this mainstream language tutorial
>will end up being the most important deliverable of the group because
>it will directly affect the people using the language (and will likely
>determine how much that use increases)."
>   --
>http://www.w3.org/mid/1959130b0704211120t19e7edb3n7db5ad68e1635880@mail.gmail.com
>
>But my attempts to follow up on that haven't produced any
>tangible tutorial material for review/discussion.
>http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2007Apr/0069.html
>

>And now when I look at the volunteers to review sections
>of the HTML 5 spec, there's noticeable lack of reviewers
>for the "Writing HTML documents" documents section.
>
>http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/html5/spec/Overview.html#writing
<snip>

Hi Dan,

I assumed that the tutorial writing could not start in earnest until
we had reached agreement on the specification.  Otherwise, writing a
tutorial would be like trying to fork jello.

Because of that, I volunteered/signed up to review a few sections of
the proposed specification while waiting.

I received confirmation of my sign-up on 6/14:

This list of sections to review is based on v1.78 of Thu Jun 7 00:53:39
2007 UTC of the editor's draft of the HTML 5 spec , with some arbitrary
choices about which subsections to lump together.

  * [ ] 1. Introduction
  * [ ] 2. The Document Object Model
  * [x] 3.1. Introduction (Semantics and structure of HTML elements)
  * [ ] 3.2. Common microsyntaxes
  * [ ] 3.3. Documents and document fragments
  * [ ] 3.4. Global attributes
  * [ ] 3.5. Interaction
  * [ ] 3.6. The root element
  * [ ] 3.7. Document metadata
  * [ ] 3.8. Sections
  * [ ] 3.9. Prose
  * [ ] 3.10. Preformatted text
  * [x] 3.11. Lists
  * [ ] 3.12. Phrase elements
  * [ ] 3.13. Edits
  * [ ] 3.14. Embedded content (subsection 1-4, figure to embed)

  * [ ] 3.14.5. The object element (and o 3.14.6. The param element)
  * [ ] 3.14.7. The video element
  * [ ] 3.14.8. The audio element
  * [ ] 3.14.9. Media elements
  * [ ] 3.14.10. The source element
  * [ ] 3.14.11. The canvas element
  * [ ] 3.14.12. The map element thru 3.14.14. Image maps
  * [x] 3.15. Tabular data
  * [x] 3.16. Forms
  * [ ] 3.17. Scripting
  * [ ] 3.18. Interactive elements (inc. datagrid)
  * [x] 3.19. Miscellaneous elements (legend, div)
  * [ ]

If you would prefer that I work on writing tutorials BEFORE we have
an agreed-upon specification, I can drop my review and start tutorial
work on whatever section you'd like me to start on.

Debi Orton / oradnio@gmail.com