Re: Common pool of examples and validation

On Jun 13, 2007, at 01:18, Ben 'Cerbera' Millard wrote:

> On Thursday, May 31, 2007 6:42 AM, Karl Dubost wrote:
>> for your tests, give them  (using parts of  [test metadata])
>
> My understanding of cases files is that they should be minimal,
> containing as little code and content as possible. Has either
> approach been proven useful in practise?

Small parsing test cases are good if one tries to step through them
in a debugger.

> On Thursday, May 31, 2007 9:53 AM, Henri Sivonen wrote:
>> [...] file named conforming.txt that lists on LF-terminated  lines
>> the names (one name per line) of conforming test cases in that
>> directory.
>
> I like the idea of doing this in as simple a format as possible.
> Would CRLF-terminated lines be acceptable? Newline normalisation is
> easy when processing files; there's even a spec for it [2]. But
> authoring LF-only lines is troublesome in Windows (which I use).

Yeah, LF, CRLF or CR would work.

> A test might conform to HTML4; or HTML5; or both. Should each of
> these be represented?

I'm pretty sure a document cannot conform to both HTML4 and HTML5 at
the same time due to different doctype requirements.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi