Re: Table accessibility (was Re: headers attribute)

At 14:14 -0700 UTC, on 2007-06-02, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

[...]

> Overall, it seems that testing support level of various HTML features
> in screen readers will be much more difficult than testing in
> standard desktop browsers or even in mobile browsers.

Yes. My limited experience of actually sitting down with a blind user and
testing specific HTML features with speech and braille browsers showed me
that that is in fact what needs to be done. Just judging the tool as a
sighted user you'll overlook all sorts of things very easily, no matter how
aware you are of that risk. You really need to evaluate the tool through the
blind user's eyes.

(With the Web Repair Initiative (URL in sig below) we are currently looking
at an opportunity to get access to a very large group of blind users, which
would provide the opportunity to do decent testing. But as with everything,
money is a problem. We cannot currently afford to pay someone to spend months
doing proper testing.)

--
Sander Tekelenburg