Re: Table accessibility (was Re: headers attribute)

At 13:48 -0700 UTC, on 2007-06-02, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> On Jun 2, 2007, at 2:18 AM, Sander Tekelenburg wrote:

[...]

>> I've had a few opportunities to test with two blind Jaws users. [....]
>
> Finally, an actual test result! I also checked what VoiceOver (the
> Mac OS X built-in screen reader) does, and it doesn't support either
> scope or headers.

And it causes kernel panics, but that's OT here so I'll shut up ;)

> I started this wiki page to record test results.
> <http://esw.w3.org/topic/HTML/TableAccessibility>. So far we have
> identified no screen readers with actual support for the headers
> attribute, though I'm sure there are many more we could test.

I dug up some more data I had forgotten I had:

"HPR" [IBM Home Page Reader] 3.0.4 (apparently an actual aural browser, not a
dumb screen reader) is said to support headers, caption, scope, summary and
abbr attribute. Source:
<http://groups.google.com/group/alt.comp.blind-users/msg/8ade0586f9076377>.

If I understand correctly, Dolphin's Supernova 7 (see
<http://www.yourdolphin.com/productdetail.asp?id=1>), supports neither
headers nor scope.  But as I understand it this too is a screen reader, and
thus relies on a third party to feed it. If that UA provides no headers, the
screen reader won't recieve them...

Related: I've so far heard of only two UAs that have any level of aural CSS
support at all, Emacspeak and Opera.

[Note that I got all this info indirectly, from people who weren't always as
clear in their description as I would have liked. Double checking it would be
good.]

--
Sander Tekelenburg