Re: Formal Recorded Complaint

On 7/30/07, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com> wrote:

> I think most of us here, even those who do not see themselves
> primarily as "accessibility advocates", would agree that it's
> important to support accessibility.

That is wonderful, Maciej.

> No one has disputed that part of  the design principles.

A question...in the proposed HTML Design Principles document what is
the logic behind using the words "when possible" in the statement [1]
"Design features for universal access. This does not mean that
features should be omitted entirely if not all users can fully make
use of them, but alternate mechanisms should be provided when
possible." ?

The HTML 5 working group charter says [2] "The HTML Working Group will
cooperate with the Web Accessibility Initiative to ensure that the
deliverables will satisfy accessibility requirements." The all
familiar Tim Berners-Lee quote, "The power of the Web is in its
universality. Access by everyone regardless of disability is an
essential aspect.", remains a powerful statement. This working group
would do well to have an accessibility principle that heeds the
accessibility wisdom of TBL.

Because of this the access principle should be strengthen to something like:

"Design features to be accessible, universal, and inclusive. Access by
everyone regardless of disability is an essential. This does not mean
that features should be omitted entirely if not all users can fully
make use of them. But alternate/equivalent mechanisms must be
provided."

Or maybe simply say:

"Deliverables will satisfy accessibility requirements. To ensure this
we will work closely with the WAI." with a link to the charter.

See the examples in the "Disputed Principles" section of principles
document in the wiki. [3]

Best Regards,
Laura

[1] http://esw.w3.org/topic/HTML/ProposedDesignPrinciples#line-75