Re: conflation of issues or convergence of interests?

At 10:48 +0200 UTC, on 2007-07-30, Alfonso Martínez de Lizarrondo wrote:

May I be so bold as to suggest we all stick to plain text? For
universaility's sake ;) (In this particular case, I needed to manually fix
things to indicate quote levels.)

> 2007/7/30, Sander Tekelenburg <<mailto:st@isoc.nl>st@isoc.nl>:

[quoting
<http://www.rnib.org.uk/wacblog/articles/too-much-accessibility/too-much-accessibility-title-attributes/>]

At 05:20 +0200 2007-07-31, Sander Tekelenburg wrote:
>> "Screen magnification users: would have their access to information in an
>> image's ALT attribute blocked by a TITLE attribute, especially, a null one."
>>
>> Empty title attributes are author mistakes (and should be warned for by HTML
>> checkers). I don't see the relevance to @title as specced. UAs should
>>provide
>> access to both @alt and @title. Thus again, a UA problem, nothing to do with
>> @title.
>
> They might not be an error but a deliberate way to work around the display
>of alt as a tooltip:
> You set up the page, the images nicely tagged with alt (well, not perfect
>but close enough) and the client suddenly says: "hey, when I checked on my
>computer all the images show some text when hovering them, I don't want
>that.", so here comes an empty title to the rescue.

How is that not an authoring error? It's not the author's job fix UA bugs.

--
Sander Tekelenburg