Re: Why HTML should be taught as HTML without pretending it is XML

Hi Simon,

On Jul 23, 2007, at 5:27 PM, Simon Pieters wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 23:59:44 +0200, Maciej Stachowiak
> <mjs@apple.com> wrote:
>
>>> Actually, it already requires this for all Document objects:
>>> "(This is the case whether or not the document in question is an
>>> HTML document or indeed whether it contains any HTML elements at
>>> all.)"
>>
>> What I meant is that HTML5 should require createElement to create
>> elements in the HTML namespace for all documents.
>
> But should the argument be lowercased in an XML context? (I don't
> have an opinion either way. Opera and Firefox don't lowercase.
> WebKit now does.)

I'm not clear what you're asking here. Do you mean lower-cased as in
accepting anything and the DOM api creates the correct element? Or do
you mean does the consumer of the API have to lower-case their
arguments? I'm guessing the former, but I just wanted to be clear.

Take care,
Rob