Re: Why HTML should be taught as HTML without pretending it is XML

Thank you Maurice and Laura for making a case for web standards!

 Laura wrote, "the pro way is a huge use case.  It is an industry. "
As Laura's sources demonstrate, there is a huge push in industry for web
standards. The authors/speakers/sites that Laura mentioned are leading this.

At this point I believe it is up to the W3C to follow this groundswell push
for standards and stricter coding. I've been personally dismayed by the
posts on this list suggesting that old-style coding will be preferred in
HTML5.

I teach community college web development courses. We cover XHTML
(Transitional 1.0) and CSS. Students are required to write code that passes
W3C XHTML and CSS validators. This structure and attention to detail serves
them well as they continue in later courses and learn JavaScript and
server-side scripting.

It's my hope that the W3C's work with HTML5 will support coding standards
for web authors.

--
Terry Morris
Web Developer Foundations: Using XHTML