Re: handling fallback content for still images

On 9 Jul 2007, at 0625, Robert Burns wrote:

> Hi Scott,
>
> [..]
>
> I'm not sure exactly how you're accomplishing this, but the fact
> that you say Firefox refuses to process, this tells me you must
> have discovered something interesting. I think I asked this before,
> but are you performing a file-by-file MIME type setting on your
> server? Otherwise how else are you altering your filename
> extensions and still serving the same MIME type (or I guess this
> could be accomplished incrementally one test at a time). Anyway, my
> guess is (and this I think is an interesting discovery if its true)
> that IE is ignoring the server MIME type and using the filename
> extension instead. Firefox too may be doing something like that
> which would cause it to fail (because it doesn't match its
> preconceived notions of what a filename extension an XML file
> should have).
>
> I'm curious to hear some more details.

Nothing more exotic than Lighttpd running locally with a fixed
mimetype of application/xhtml+xml for .html and .xml.

IE and Firefox seem to be dispatching the file based on the
extension. IE displays a standard 'I won't render XML documents'
message when the file ends in .xml. FF displays a "Save To Disk/Open
With..." dialog (identifying the document type as "HyperText") if the
file ends in .html.

s.