Re: handling fallback content for still images

Hi Scott,

On Jul 8, 2007, at 10:54 PM, scott lewis wrote:
> Indeed, my file had an extension of ".html". A little more testing
> reveals that Firefox will reject a document served as application/
> xhtml+xml if it's name ends in .html, but will accept it if the
> extension is .xml. FF renders the .xml file without a <tbody>, as
> you say. And, conversely while IE will render the .html, it refuses
> to render the .xml file. Safari and Opera rendered both extensions.
>
>  - Opera 9
>     - .html no <tbody>
>     - .xml no <tbody>
>  - Firefox 2
>     - .html Will not render
>     - .xml no <tbody>
>  - IE 7
>     - .html inserted <tbody>
>     - .xml Will not render
> - Safari 3
>     - .html inserted <tbody>
>     - .xml inserted <tbody>
>
> Identical documents, identical mimetypes, different extensions.
>
> I'm not convinced that we can dismiss IE7 since the path of least
> resistance and "cargo cult conformance" (not to mention habit) lead
> to XHTML in .html files, and while those files aren't parsed by a
> strict XML parser, they still render in IE7.

I'm not sure exactly how you're accomplishing this, but the fact that
you say Firefox refuses to process, this tells me you must have
discovered something interesting. I think I asked this before, but
are you performing a file-by-file MIME type setting on your server?
Otherwise how else are you altering your filename extensions and
still serving the same MIME type (or I guess this could be
accomplished incrementally one test at a time). Anyway, my guess is
(and this I think is an interesting discovery if its true) that IE is
ignoring the server MIME type and using the filename extension
instead. Firefox too may be doing something like that which would
cause it to fail (because it doesn't match its preconceived notions
of what a filename extension an XML file should have).

I'm curious to hear some more details.

Take care,
Rob