Re: SURVEY: Release "HTML 5 differences from HTML 4" as a W3C Working Draft? formal decision

On Thu, 2007-07-05 at 17:01 +0100, Philip Taylor (Webmaster) wrote:

> Dan Connolly wrote:
>
> > The HTML WG co-chairs are persuaded by the argument that publishing
> > this diff document before the design principles and the spec
> > is somewhat backwards. It seems better to release this
> > differences document as a companion to the HTML 5 spec,
> > and to work on design principles meanwhile.
>
> If I understand this correctly, it is now proposed that
> the first document to be released will be the Design Principles,
> and that the HTML 5 draft specification will then be reviewed in
> the light of these design principles and any inconsistences
> between the Design Principles and the Draft Specification
> eliminated by adjustments to the latter.
>
> This will then be followed by a release of the as-amended
> Draft Specification for HMTL 5, together with a document
> summarising the differences between that draft  specification
> and the latest specification for HTML 4.01. If this reading
> is correct, then I applaud this decision, with which I whole-
> heartedly concur.

It's only partly correct.

(a) I'm not proposing anything, formally, at this point.

(b) I expect the first release of the HTML 5 spec
after a review by this WG over the course of this
month (see
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007Jun/0282.html )
but I don't expect that release to address many of the
issues that come up during that review. Addressing those
issues is likely to take 6 months or more, and it's not
reasonable to wait that long before a first release.

(c) I encourage work on design principles meanwhile; I hope
we'll have consensus to release something, if not consensus
on all of the principles/requirements contained in it,
in the next month or so. I'd like it to be released before
the the spec goes out or perhaps at the same time, but
I'm open to other possibilities.