Drag and drop Re: html 5 and accessibility issue

On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 11:48:07 +0200, Joshue O Connor
<joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie> wrote:

> Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>>> - Drag and drop API is great but what about people without mouse, is
>>> there a keyboard usable drag and drop API, this statement : ...
>>
>> What should it say instead? Has there been research in this area we
>> could use?
>
> Also, Drag and drop functionality is practically useless for non-visual
> users. The next best alternative ... the ability to cut and paste -
> source object to destination, have the object properties revealed to the

For what it is worth, there is a WebAPI draft spec for drag-and-drop[1]
which explicitly tries to take this approach. The spec needs work in many
ways, but it is intended to cover this particular aspect of accessibility.
There is also work on drag-and-drop in ARIA[2] which again is designed to
deal with accessibility requirements.

Part of the work required for these is aligning them better...

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/clipboard-apis/
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/aria-state/#dragdrop

cheers

Chaals