Re: html 5 and accessibility issue - need of fallback content

On Jul 1, 2007, at 4:11 PM, Henri Sivonen wrote:

> On Jul 2, 2007, at 00:01, Robert Burns wrote:
>
>> The author doesn't mention in the  prose any problem with AT.
>> Could you provide some more details on your reading of that article?
>
> I scanned to the row "Uses <embed>" and located the columns
> flagged "No". Then I scanned up each column and found yellow
> (problem) cells in each one (one screen reader issue, one aural
> browser issue and one old visual UA issue).

Well as is often the case, skimming like that is not sufficient. Even
the first solution that uses embed is included in the approach I was
advocating. Scripting is another drawback that the table doesn't
quickly visually illustrate (in yellow), so they're are issues
important to authors that the table doesn't illustrate. However,
those are the types of details I'm not sure if we need to concern
ourselves with. I think whenever we can we should encourage the
deployment of implementations that make this basic stuff very easy
for authors to do without any add-ons (including scripting). However,
I will admit that some of those scripting solutions are quite
elegant, but the table doesn't show that scripting drawback for quick
skimming.

Take care,
Rob