Re: Underline element.

Ivan Enderlin wrote:
> Hi all :)
>
> I was reading the HTML 5 draft and something is strange about <u> tag.
> In HTML 4, <u> tag is depreciated [1], and <u> tag doesn't exist in HTML
> 5 [2]. I don't find anymore informations about it in XHTML 1.0 or 1.1.
> So I deduce that we can't underlined an element in HTML right now ?
>
> Best regards,
> -Ivan
>
> Notes :
>     [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/present/graphics.html#edef-U ;
>     [2] http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#phrase.

There is one case that we use in UI for <u> - to mark shortcut combinations:

We do have special behavior defined for the <u> element that
synthesizes button click event when user presses Ctrl-O
(for the button above).

So this brings some semantic meaning to the element
but this is not what it was intended for of course.

--
Andrew Fedoniouk.

http://terrainformatica.com