Re: Guide/AlternateElementTemplate

On 2007 Dec 05, at 18:54, Steve Axthelm wrote:

> On 2007-12-05 Justin Thorp <juth@loc.gov> wrote:
>
>> I really like Doug's Alternate Element Template.  It seems more
>> approachable.
>
> <http://esw.w3.org/topic/HTML/Guide/AlternateElementTemplate>
>
> Looks good to me too:
>
> In the Tags section, do also need to document if an element's start
> and end tags are optional?
>
> So:
>
> == Tags ==
> :: Start tag:
>    [<tag> or <tag/> if void]
>    [Required | Optional (state where tag is implied if optional)]
> :: End tag:
>    [</tag> or the word none if void]
>    [Required | Optional (state where tag is implied if optional)]
>

> -Steve
>
> --
> Steve Axthelm
> steveax@pobox.com

I believe all tags should always be used by anyone writing to the
HTML5 spec. There are backward compatibility issues that UAs have to
take into account, but new documents should be encouraged to be
explicit. So, optional use of tags should not be detailed in the Web
Developers Guide. Yes, I have to teach myself to use <tbody>. BTW, the
spec does not, in defining elements, state any are optional except
where the structure they represent is itself optional (<thead> within

Doug Jones
doug_b_jones@mac.com