Re: [HDP] Missing principles

Richard Ishida wrote:
<snip>
> I think a couple of useful principles are missing:
<snip>
> [1] Deliver incrementally (or similar words).

<snip>
> [2] Collaborate with implementers (or similar words).

<snip>
I strongly support the idea of getting stuff out into the field and taking
small steps, publishing useful short documents. A project priority list could be
useful,  though it has to be dynamic.

Referring back to my suggestion of broadening and reducing the number of
principles, the above two areas could be covered in the elaboration of the
evolution not revolution principle, don't reinvent the wheel and also the
audience sections. I also wonder if it is worth articulating "the
issue"/objective in the specs.

As the posting doesn't seem to be in the archive yet...here is the text
> It appears to me, that there are too many principles and they could be collapsed
> into 4.
>
> My suggestion is to modify the document to include a new section or expand the
> Introduction to cover Background/History of the design principles & Audience for
> the specifiction (including priority of constituencies)
>
> Principles
>
> 1 Support Existing Content (encompasses degrade gracefully)
>
> 2 Well Defined Behaviour (encompasses media independence, avoid complexity,
> handle errors)
>
> 3 Evolution not Revolution
> (encompass Do not Reinvent the Wheel, Pave the Cowpaths, Solve Real Problems)
>
> 4 Separation of Concerns
> (encompasses support for world languages, media independence and universal access)
>
> New Section providing examples of Examples of Application of Principles

Marghanita
--
Marghanita da Cruz
http://www.ramin.com.au