Re: review of content type rules by IETF/HTTP community

On Aug 17, 2007, at 3:45 PM, Dan Connolly wrote:
> According to a straightforward architecture for content types in the
> Web[META], the HTTP specification should suffice and the HTML 5
> specification need not specify another algorithm. But that
> architecture
> assumes that Web publishers (server adminstrators and content
> developers) reliably label content. Observing that labelling by Web
> publishers is widely unreliable, and software that works around these
> problems is widespread

BTW, do we have data on this? Do these content-type headers suffer
from mislabeling on a widespread basis? It seems to me the more we
give up on this the more we'll lose this feature. We'd have to
institute a new header, "really-the-content-type", and make that
authoritative.

Take care,
Rob