Re: using an attribute to categorize the @alt state

Hello all,

In the original thread where the various @alt scenarios topic was
discussed [1], I had recommended these keywords for the @alt
attribute itself with leading underscores. So we would adopt
something like: '_missing', '_icon', '_decorative', '_seecontext',
and  '_seefallback'. It was pointed out at the time that this would
cause problems with aural UAs in that they would need to read the
keywords until they were updated to HTML5 conforming UAs. I
definitely think that is a serious problem, but I thought I'd just
put this reminder here, to spark the discussion.

I think other keywords may be appropriate too. Fro example,
_seefilemetadata might also be appropriate if the author knew an
adequate description of the image was included in the image itself.
This is something I think we should add to the UA conformance
criteria: a SHOULD or MUST for UAs to extract image, video, audio,
etc description and title metadata for non-visual users and non-
visual UAs. Especially for the graphics that are not icons or
decorative, more and more it very much makes sense to store suitable
descriptions in the files metadata. Rather than requiring authors to
extract this metadata and include it in an @alt or @longdesc document
fragment it would be best for UAs to extract it and present it as the
user needs it. Some of the keywords (_decorative) would help notify
the UA that the metadata content of the file was not needed (since
even a decorative image may have an elaborate meatdata description if
its from a standardized library or maintained within an organizations
media database).

Take care,
Rob

[1]: <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007Jul/0837.html>