Re: Distributed Extensibility

Dan Connolly wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-08-02 at 11:16 -0400, Sam Ruby wrote:
>> Original here:
>> http://intertwingly.net/blog/2007/08/02/HTML5-and-Distributed-Extensibility
>>
> [...]
>> XML permits an alternate syntax, namely default namespaces.  In certain
>> circles, such a syntax is very popular.  Regrettably, allowing such a
>> syntax would pose problems for back level user agents, and therefore
>> must be disallowed in the HTML5 “custom format”.
>
> I'm not familiar with those problems. I'd like more details;
> maybe even test cases.

Testcase:

http://intertwingly.net/stories/2007/08/13/testcase.html

View it both in IE and in a browser that supports XHTML and SVG.
Compare the title bars.

Now imagine if I had used the script element:

http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/script.html

I believe that for backwards compatibility we need to ensure that not
only doesn't any extension use a local-name that may have previously
been used, but also doesn't use any local-name that may every be used in
potential future revisions of HTML.

- Sam Ruby