Re: 3.8. Sections

At 00:05 +1000 UTC, on 2007-08-08, Ben Boyle wrote:

> http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#sections

[...]

> "nearest ancestor sectioning element" vs "nearest sectioning element"
> - I'd stick with the former for clarity, the "ancestor" part is
> fundamental.

Can it occur that "nearest ancestor" != "parent"?

[...]

> 3.8.2. The section element
> http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#sections [...]
>
> Should we suggest the order of headings (header/h1-6 elements) and
> footers for conformance? [...]

I'd expect sections that share the same parent would contain the same heading
level (and optionally sub headings; just no higher evel headings). It's the
base indicator to a user how sections relate. The example at
<http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#sections> suggests the same. (But
as you note, might give the impression that they must always start with h1.)

An advisory note headings section
<http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#the-h1> about how to assign
heading would probably be good (with the headers section pointing to that).

FWIW, the (still to be expanded) phrasing in the WRI requirements is "MUST
ensure logical heading level tree (Only use H2 if H1 is used [...]" We're
purposely not dictating that H1 must come before H2. Just that it mustn't
occur when H1 doesn't occur at all.

[...]

> 3.8.7. The h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, and h6 elements
> http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#the-h1
> These elements define headers for their sections. (suggest we replace
> "headers" with "headings" to reduce any confusion with the header
> element).

Agreed.

--
Sander Tekelenburg