Re: HEADERS, FOR whom - any ID?

Lachlan Hunt wrote:
> Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
>> FOR/ID and HEADERS/ID are twins - they're there for the same reasons!
>
> These are some additional reasons for including for="" that do not apply
> to headers="".
>
> * Allows for labels and controls to be separated, which allows for more
> flexibility in the structure and style of the page.
> * Increased usability by allowing users to click on the label to focus the
> control. That's particularly important for checkboxes and radio buttons.
> * It is very widely used in reality.

The first two seem equally applicable to headers+id:

* Allows for header and data cells to be separated, which allows for more
flexibility in the structure and style of tables.
* Increased usability for users of text-to-speech devices by hearing those
headers which give context to the currently selected data cell.

Do you have research to back up the third point?

In my professional work (retrofitting accessibility to existing websites and
building templates for new websites), for+id it is not widely used in
reality. Indeed, in my experience it is rare to find a <label> element, let
alone a <label for> and rarer still a <label for> which correctly matches
with the intended <input id>. That's only *my* experience, though. :-)

Lachlan Hunt wrote:
> [...] it seems likely that the headers attribute will be added in due
> course.

This should be good news to Leif and perhaps some other Participants.

--
Ben 'Cerbera' Millard
Collections of Interesting Data Tables