Re: ID Characters (was: Re: 3.4. Global attributes)

On Aug 1, 2007, at 18:18, Robert Burns wrote:

> On the issue of the @id attribute and compatibility, I'm not sure
> what we're trying to accomplish here. Henri says[1] that the
> attribute is of type CDATA and not of type ID

That's not quite what I said.

I said that it is not of type ID as far as the XML Processor (that
is, the XML parser as defined by the XML 1.0 spec) is concerned when
there is no DTD declaring the attribute id to be of type ID. Between
the XML parser and later stages of processing, you do want to assign
IDness to id. I propose acknowledging this explicitly in the spec and
calling the processing stage an "XHTML id Processor". This is
analogous to how xml:id gains its IDness after the XML Processor in
the DTDless case.

(What I said above holds regardless of what lexical space is allowed
for the id attribute.)

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi