Re: Proposal to Adopt HTML5

In preparation for a formal decision on this proposal,
this is what I'm thinking so far, after a bit of
discussion with our co-chair, Chris Wilson...

On Mon, 2007-04-09 at 19:38 -0700, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> Dear HTML Working Group,
>
> [...] Therefore, we the
> undersigned propose the following:
>
> - that the W3C HTML Working Group adops the WHAT Working Group's
> HTML5 as the starting point for further HTML development

"starting point" has been the subject of considerable
discussion and clarification. To reiterate what
I wrote on 10 Apr:

[[
As I understand the proposal, it doesn't give anything that status
of "this design issue is decided and discussion of it is out of order".

I do expect to keep a list of design issues that the WG has
decided on, and when somebody brings one up, I'll refer them
to the decision history/rationale and note that unless they have
new information that merits re-considering the issue, discussion
of it is out of order.

My working sketch of that list is http://www.w3.org/html/wg/il16 ;
so far, the list of issues that the WG has decided is empty.
]]
 -- http://www.w3.org/mid/461C2945.5030309@w3.org

I think the "starting point", as elaborated below in the
original proposal, is clear enough by now; I doubt wordsmithing will
add much at this point, but specific suggestions are perhaps worth
considering.

> - that the W3C's next-generation HTML specification is officially
> named "HTML 5"

That's acceptable to all interested parties, as far as I know.

The process by which a name becomes "official" at W3C has
various stages:
  - WG decision
  - publication as a W3C Working Draft
    which involves explicit OK from The Director
    on the title and shortname, and invites community feedback
  - Proposed Recommendation, where we formally seek
    endorsement from the W3C membership
  - Recommendation

So our WG decision will be subject to review at each
of those later stages.

> - that Ian Hickson is named as editor for the W3C's HTML 5
> specification, to preserve continuity with the existing WHATWG effort

Chris and I are delighted to have Ian Hickson as one of the editors,
but not satisfied with having him as the only editor. We're continuing
to recruit co-editors.

> If HTML5 is adopted as a starting point, the contents of the document
> would still be up for review and revision, but we would start with
> the existing text. A suitable next step might be a high-level review
> of functionality added and removed relative to HTML4.01, followed by
> focused discussion and review of individual topic areas, including
> both content already in the spec and proposed new features.
> Discussions should be guided by common principles along the lines of
> <http://esw.w3.org/topic/HTML/ProposedDesignPrinciples>
>
> If the group is agreeable to these proposals, Apple, Mozilla and
> Opera will agree to arrange a non-exclusive copyright assignment to
> the W3 Consortium for HTML5 specifications.
>

> L. David Baron, Mozilla Foundation
> Lars Erik Bolstad, Opera Software ASA
> Brendan Eich, Mozilla Foundation
> Dave Hyatt, Apple Inc.
> Håkon Wium Lie, Opera Software ASA
> Maciej Stachowiak, Apple Inc.

D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E