Re: Request for Decision: Design Principles

Hi, David-

Dailey, David P. wrote:

> Representing the very small minority who have written against the design
 > principles
<snip/>
 > I am not sensing any great support for my perspective so it is
 > probably a non-issue.

I have not replied to your posts because I thought you were doing a fine
job stating your objections yourself, not because I didn't agree.  In
fact, I agreed with you more often than not.

I think that these Design Principles will often be useful, but to treat
them as holy writ seems extreme (especially since, as other holy writs,
they can be interpreted to argue 2 sides of many issues).

I see no clear benefit in establishing such a rigid stance.  But what I
think they would be very effective at doing is establishing a "power
base" at the outset of the group that would quash different opinions
later on, a practice I find dubious at best.

I suspect that most people will not really care enough (or have the
time) to about review and vote on the design principals (much less fully
understand the implications)... but that once they were voted in by the
core constituency that does seem to care strongly, it would be hard to
defend against misuse.  I think we should be more open and flexible as a
group.

For that reason alone, not any merit or deficit of the principals
themselves, I would be against making them Official.  I'm in favor of
using them as "gentle reminders".

Regards-
-Doug