Re: The argument for |bugmode| (was Re: If we have versioning, it should be in an attribute, not the doctype)

On 4/18/07, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi> wrote:
> On Apr 18, 2007, at 14:15, Michael A. Puls II wrote:
>
> > On 4/18/07, Matthew Raymond <mattraymond@earthlink.net> wrote:
> >
> > Yeh, it wouldn't really be fair if you could only specify one browser
> > in the attribute value at a time.
>
> FWIW, this is why I said before that it generalizes to something like
> engine-bugs-as-of='2007-04-18'.

Thanks.

If I want to manually opt in to IE9's super standards mode and
automatically opt in to 10, 11 and 12, but not automatically opt in to
13, would a date be sufficient?

And, what happens when 10 comes out with some big change that I hear
will be reverted in 11 and I want to opt out of super-standards mode
for just 10?

The reason I ask is the author might want to automatically opt in to
future super standards modes, but opt out for specific versions when
the need arises.

The author might also want to automatically opt in to future super
standards modes, but only up to a certain point (which would rely on
prediction).

The author might not want to automatically opt in to future super
standards modes.

Also, if you use a date, I'm curious as to where you find what dates
refer to what versions. Do you go by release date. Do you go by the
date you write the page? Do you ask? Will there be a table on the MS
site somewhere?

Judging from Chris's essay and posts, a web page may need to cater to
lots of  versions of IE in a different way for each version. The
attribute should allow that.

Using versions in the attribute seems like it'd be easier to me, but
perhaps you could explain how it would work.

However, having an attribute for tagging bugs seems like it could get
complicated.

Having just a version attribute and letting the IE team sort it out
seems simpler. :)

(If IE does support using a version attribute for opt-ins, I want IE
to support <html version="5+"> so one can trigger automatic opt-in for
all future versions.)

--
Michael