Re: Versioning and the end user

On Tue, April 17, 2007 11:07 am, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> Matthew Ratzloff wrote:
>> To be honest, I'm not sure why so many people are opposed to
>> perpetuating the standard DOCTYPE, with slight changes to remove
>> the references to DTD.
>
> In brief, based on my reading of the mails:
>
> 1)  Because it doesn't solve the problems it claims to solve, in the eyes
> of those people.
>
> 2)  Because it's extra overhead for all web authors.
>
> As in, it doesn't help things, and it hurts other things.

That may be, but you clipped the part where I proposed a way of allowing
it to solve those problems, with infrequent, ongoing updates to the
specification in the form of HTML 5.01, 5.02, etc.  These will likely
occur regardless of what is decided.

The "extra overhead" of HTML 4's much more complicated DTD string doesn't
seem to impede HTML creation today.

-Matt