Re: Proposal to Adopt HTML5

On 10. apr. 2007, at 21.16, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> How is it useful to know the changes from HTML4? I doubt much WG
> members have actually read HTML4 completely. The high-level changes
> for people familiar with HTML4 are mentioned here (not exhaustive
> enough, see talk page):

To people who are experienced users of HTML4 and know it well, this
will certainly save a lot of time. We will be able to use more time
to contribute and less to keep track of the status of the standard.
Most of our practical experience is related to HTML4 and if this is
to be utilized, we must be able use that spec as a reference point.

If the document is accompanied by some kind of status info related to
each change, it can also be a useful tool for decision making.

> In due course, however, I would expect that everyone knows the
> document the group will be working on. At least the parts he/she is
> interested in. And will follow the changes made to the document
> through some tracker:
>
>   http://html5.org/tools/web-apps-tracker
>   http://twitter.com/WHATWG

I don't think everyone will have time for this kind of line by line
tracking.

> The idea of the HTML5 proposal is to effectively replace HTML4,
> XHTML1 and DOM2HTML with something (substantially) better. Not to
> update them.

The charter says our mission is to "continue the evolution of HTML"
that we "will maintain and produce incremental revisions of the HTML
standard". This sounds more like revolution to me.

--
Henrik