Re: Proposal to resolve ISSUE-1

On Tue, 1 Nov 2011 23:58:10 -0400
Gregg Kellogg <gregg@kellogg-assoc.com> wrote:

> 1) A Microdata processor uses a registry (with undefined format and
> update procedure for now) to control the behavior of property URI
> generation.

-1. If the registry were dynamic, then it creates too much overhead. If
static, then "registry" just becomes a nice name for "special-casing".

> 2) A Microdata processor uses a registry (with undefined format and
> update procedure for now) to control the serialization of
> multi-valued properties.

-1. Ditto.

> 3) One property URI generation strategy is _vocabulary_, which
> defines a common URI to use for creating URIs for items with an
> @itemtype which begins with the vocabulary URI e.g.,
> @itemtype=http://schema.org/Person, @itemprop=name =>
> http://schema.org/name. Also
> @itemtype=http://schema.org/Person/Deceased, @itempropt=name =>
> http://schema.org/name

+1. This strategy does need to exist to cover the schema.org vocab.

> 4) One property URI generation strategy is _type_, which defines
> creates property URIs by appending a the property name to the
> itemtype URI separated by a '#' e.g.
> @itemtype=http://microformats.org/hcard, @itemprop=name =>
> http://microformats.org/hcard#name

+1. This strategy does need to exist to cover the vocabs in the
microdata spec.

> 5) On property URI generation strategy is _base_, which creates a
> property URI by using the portion of the itemtype URI up to and
> including the final '#' or '/' e.g.,
> @itemtype=http://schema.org/Person, @itemprop=name =>
> http://schema.org/name. Also
> @itemtype=http://schema.org/Person/Deceased, @itempropt=name =>
> http://schema.org/Person/name

+1. This strategy needs to exist to cover pretty much every existing
RDF vocab.

> 6) The default URI generation strategy is _base_.

I don't think there needs to be a default strategy. I believe my
heuristic algorithm can automatically detect the correct strategy to
use, given a type and property.

> 7) One multi-valued property serialization strategy is _unordered_,
> which creates triples for multiple values with a common subject and
> predicate.

+1.

> 8) One multi-valued property serialization strategy is _list_, which
> places all values in an RDF Collection (rdf:List) as the object of a
> triple.

-1. I don't think support for implicit rdf:Lists is needed.

> 9) There is no _contextual_ URI generation strategy, and the
> Microdata to RDF property generation is lossy with respect to JSON,
> in that properties of untyped sub-items will result in the same URI,
> rather than being distinct.

+1.

--
Toby A Inkster