W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-html-a11y@w3.org > June 2014

Re: [MEDIA] Minutes for Media Sub-Group 02 JUN 2014

From: Daniel Davis <ddavis@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2014 00:35:35 +0000
Message-ID: <538D1832.3060103@w3.org>
To: Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>
CC: Mark Sadecki <mark@w3.org>, HTML A11Y TF Public <public-html-a11y@w3.org>, John Foliot <john@foliot.ca>, eric.carlson@apple.com, Adrian Roselli <Roselli@algonquinstudios.com>, Kazuyuki Ashimura <ashimura@w3.org>, Shane McCarron <shane@aptest.com>, Wu Wei <wuwei@w3.org>
Hi Janine,

Regarding your possible new use case - timescale modification - I had a
similar use case but was told on the TV IG call that it already exists.
I made a demo to test it and sure enough, HTML5 video and audio elements
have a playbackRate attribute that can be changed on-the-fly. Maybe this
covers your use case as well.

Anyway, the demo is here if you'd like to try it out:
http://daniemon.com/tech/html5/playbackRate/

Cheers,
Daniel

On 03/06/14 04:47, Mark Sadecki wrote:
> Thanks to everyone who attended today's Media Sub-Group meeting.  Below are the
> minutes in HTML and text format.
> 
> HTML:
> http://www.w3.org/2014/06/02-html-a11y-media-minutes.html
> 
> TEST:
>    [1]W3C
> 
>       [1] http://www.w3.org/
> 
>              HTML Accessibility Task Force Media Sub-Group
> 
> 02 Jun 2014
> 
>    See also: [2]IRC log
> 
>       [2] http://www.w3.org/2014/06/02-html-a11y-media-irc
> 
> Attendees
> 
>    Present
>           JF, MarkS, Kazuyuki, janina, ShaneM, wuwei
> 
>    Regrets
>    Chair
>           MarkS
> 
>    Scribe
>           MarkS
> 
> Contents
> 
>      * [3]Topics
>          1. [4]Identify Scribe
>          2. [5]TV & Web: Use Cases and Requirements (update)
>          3. [6]Processing Media Accessibility User Requirements
>             Comments
>          4. [7]Full Transcript
>      * [8]Summary of Action Items
>      __________________________________________________________
> 
>    <trackbot> Date: 02 June 2014
> 
> Identify Scribe
> 
>    <scribe> scribe: MarkS
> 
> TV & Web: Use Cases and Requirements (update)
> 
>    <kaz> [9]Web&TV minutes
> 
>       [9] http://www.w3.org/2014/05/28-webtv-minutes.html
> 
>    KAZ: Talked about new use cases on May 28. Everyone was very
>    impresed and interest
>    ... TV Broadcast chair, volunteered to take the lead and check
>    the use cases in detail.
>    ... need to identify what is new and which ones are just
>    extensions.
>    ... may need to reword a bit to fit the IGs use cases better
>    ... the IG has started to review use cases submitted by john
>    and mark. The new use cases submitted by janina will be added
>    to 2nd generation.
> 
>    JS: I have a new one that is related to timescale modification.
>    think it would be good to have a use case for it
>    ... useful for people who watch videos in a non-domininant
>    language
>    ... to slow it down
> 
>    KAZ: Might want to mention advantages to i18n as well
> 
>    JS: useful for travellers as well
> 
>    MS: do you think we will be able to provide feedback on the
>    outcome of that work soon?
> 
>    KAZ: yes
>    ... no date yet, will let you know soon.
>    ... AC meeting is next week, so it may take longer than
>    expected.
> 
>    MS: anyone attending AC that would be useful to talk to?
> 
>    KAZ: i will ask
> 
>    JS: i will be there on Monday
> 
>    KAZ: I wanted to thank everyone for your work. great use cases.
> 
> Processing Media Accessibility User Requirements Comments
> 
>    [10]http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/media-a11y-reqs/
> 
>      [10] http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/media-a11y-reqs/
> 
>    [11]http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/media-a11y-reqs/#KA-1
> 
>      [11] http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/media-a11y-reqs/#KA-1
> 
>    SM: what are we doing with references to other documents?
> 
>    MS: Keeping an eye and doing our best to predict stability at
>    this point
> 
>    JS: Three steps before we publish
>    ... Need to make sure we are happy with this heartbeat.
>    ... we need to respond to all commenters
>    ... we might want to update vocabulary used since it has
>    changed
>    ...RE: section 4.8 might be a good time to re-write that
>    section. Shouldn't taken long.
>    ... know what we need to say and have gotten feedback
>    ... know we can at least change the title, which is very
>    awkward. Can probably use new term, second screen
> 
>    JF: That is very awkward. probably shorten it down. If we are
>    going to use second screen, we want to indicate that it refers
>    to one or more screens/devices
> 
>    JS: If you look at Sylvia's response to my email, that
>    addresses that.
>    ... there is understanding that it it more than one or two or
>    three additional devices.
>    ... I wonder if there is a definition somewhere that we can
>    reference
> 
>    JF: there is a second screen community group
> 
>    KAZ: that group is converting to a working group
> 
>    <JF> [12]http://www.w3.org/community/webscreens/
> 
>      [12] http://www.w3.org/community/webscreens/
> 
>    JF: the CG has a definition
> 
>    KAZ: Use Cases and requirements were discussed in the Web & TV
>    IG, and some of the participants launched a Community Group
>    based on the requirements
> 
>    JF: This is a very quiet group. There are some knowlegeable and
>    experienced participants.
>    ... lot of people watching it, but not a lot going on.
> 
>    JS: so there may be an API?
> 
>    KAZ: yes
> 
>    JS: That is important
> 
>    <kaz> [13]Presentation API
> 
>      [13] http://webscreens.github.io/presentation-api/
> 
>    JF: If we're going to use this term, we need to have it clearly
>    defined
>    ... there is a concise defintion here. we may want to have a
>    more formal definition somewhere
> 
>    JS: it could be a set of bluetooth headphones...
> 
>    SM: maybe we should call it secondary device
> 
>    JS: I'm not picky about the distinction, but understand its not
>    always literally a visual display
> 
>    JF: so, the discussion is whether or not we want to use the
>    term second screen, but based on this convo, it might be too
>    limiting
> 
>    SM: It's not second, its secondary
> 
>    <JF> suggestion: 4.8 Requirements on the parallel use of
>    alternative content on secondary screens and other devices
> 
>    <janina>
>    [14]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2014Ma
>    y/0099.html
> 
>      [14] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2014May/0099.html
> 
>    JS: I think we can take out alternative. Secondary screens and
>    other devices is circular, self-referential
> 
>    <ShaneM> suggestion: 4.8 Requirements on secondary screens and
>    other devices
> 
>    JS: I like that
> 
>    JF: I like that
> 
>    MS: me too
> 
>    JS: the rest of the section needs to be improved as well
>    ... take out references to UAAG and put it in the document
>    directly
>    ... I propose I take an action to rewrite this section
> 
>    JF: Looking at comment from Jim Allen, the title and intro
>    should be changed.
>    ... we can remove that comment and make sure the rest of the
>    comments from UAAG have been addressed.
> 
>    JS, MarkS, and JF will not be available next week. Propose
>    skipping next weeks meeting. Review rewritten text for this
>    section in two weeks
> 
>    JF: I think we just need to focus on the title and the
>    preamble. I think we can work on this via email
> 
>    JS: Has there been any discussions in other groups regarding
>    this section, or were they not aware that this applies to 2nd
>    screen
> 
>    KAZ: the idea of 2nd screen itself is not necessarily a
>    secondary device. During the Munich workshop, some participants
>    mentioned iPhone or iPad, usually 2nd screen could be the
>    primary device.
>    ... need to be careful how we refer to these devices
>    ... perhpas we can ask them to clarify
>    ... multiple devices or multiple modalities
> 
>    JF: its not talking about screens, its talking about multiple
>    devices, consuming the same media stream, different ways on
>    different devices.
>    ... the group is probably focused on video, not audio.
>    ... I think the preamble is where it needs to be cleaned up.
>    ... its deliberately broad. need to expand on it in the
>    introduction
> 
>    MS: any other sections that need work before we publish next
>    draft?
> 
>    JF: i don't remember reviewing the long list of feedback from
>    UAAG.
> 
>    JS: I think we did that already
> 
>    <JF> (UAAG feedback here:
>    [15]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2010Ju
>    l/0108.html)
> 
>      [15] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2010Jul/0108.html)
> 
>    JF: we should remove link to that sentence then.
> 
>    <scribe> ACTION: MarkS to remove reference to UAWG email in
>    seciton 4.8 [recorded in
>    [16]http://www.w3.org/2014/06/02-html-a11y-media-minutes.html#a
>    ction01]
> 
>    <trackbot> Created ACTION-264 - Remove reference to uawg email
>    in seciton 4.8 [on Mark Sadecki - due 2014-06-09].
> 
>    JS: EO will look at section two before our fall heartbeat
>    (hopefully LC)
> 
>    JF: Comment 33: CA-4, support filters. Clean audio, still
>    refers to pre-emphasis filters. Did we agree/disagree?
>    ... I think we need to go through these again to make sure they
>    were all addressed
>    ... there are 83 comments
> 
>    JS: We did not accept all of them
> 
>    JF: we refer to pre-emphasis filters. comment suggested we
>    shoudl just use filters
> 
>    JS: i think that was a spelling mistake
> 
>    JF: I will take a quick look at these to make sure they were
>    all addressed.
> 
>    JS: I'll look at minutes to see when we took these comments up
> 
> Full Transcript
> 
>    JS: we have two proposals
> 
>    [17]https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/Full_Transcript
> 
>      [17] https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/Full_Transcript
> 
>    scribe: Plan 2014 specifies that we can create an extension
>    spec
> 
>    JF: Adrian expressed interest in this. I will have a chat with
>    him.
> 
>    JS: I will look for minutes
> 
>    MS: suggest adding any historical work to this wiki page so we
>    can make an informed decision on how to move forward.
> 
>    next meeting in two weeks
> 
> Summary of Action Items
> 
>    [NEW] ACTION: MarkS to remove reference to UAWG email in
>    seciton 4.8 [recorded in
>    [18]http://www.w3.org/2014/06/02-html-a11y-media-minutes.html#a
>    ction01]
> 
>    [End of minutes]
>      __________________________________________________________
> 
> 
>     Minutes formatted by David Booth's [19]scribe.perl version
>     1.138 ([20]CVS log)
>     $Date: 2014-06-02 19:45:33 $
> 
>      [19] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
>      [20] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/
> 
Received on Tuesday, 3 June 2014 01:16:11 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Wednesday, 7 January 2015 15:05:39 UTC