RE: [media] change proposals for issue-152

Hi Mark. This is an early snapshot of a work in progress, I'll make it easier to follow and more complete over the next couple of days; but it is a Wiki, so feel free to add your comments in directly.

From: Mark Watson [mailto:watsonm@netflix.com]
Sent: 31 March 2011 17:15
To: Sean Hayes
Cc: Silvia Pfeiffer; HTML Accessibility Task Force
Subject: Re: [media] change proposals for issue-152

Sean,

If by CP3 you mean http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/Media_Multitrack_Change_Proposal (it would be good to make the CP numbers hyperlink), it does not support discovery of in-band tracks and neither does CP4.

Discovery of in-band tracks means a page author who does not know a priori which tracks will be present in the resource (e.g. because they have just been given a URL for a resource to render) needs to find the list of tracks that are in there. So there needs to be some "HTMLMediaElement.tracks" attribute containing the list of tracks. You may then create markup for the ones you want to render, or it may be possible to enable rendering of a track directly from the objects in HTMLMediaElement.tracks (as in Ian's proposal)

This is supported already for in-band text tracks.

I'm happy to update the page everyone agrees this is a correct understanding.

...Mark