Re: Feedback on MediaController

On Apr 25, 2011, at 6:04 PM, David Singer wrote:

> I am not sure about the terminology of name, kind, label, type, etc.
>
> As far as I can see, we have
>
> * the media type: video, audio, text, metadata (undisplayed temporal data), maybe one or two others
> * the container type: MP4, WebM, etc.
> * the coding type: VP8, H.264, Vorbis, etc.
> * the function, purpose, role, etc. (currently called 'kind'): main, sign-language, dubbed, alternate, supplementary, commentary,
> * label: some kind of user-displayable label for the track, maybe, but this gets into internationalization issues (in how many languages do I supply the label string?)
>
> MIME covers the first two, and with a codecs parameter, the first three.  I absolutely need the 4th (role) in order to match up what a user wants with what's being offered.  The 5th, I am not sure...

I understood "label" to be a fall-back for the case where the "kind" is not recognized. If you don't recognize the kind you can't apply user preferences or attach the track to an appropriate UI element, but at least you could provide a menu of the labels, which would each be in the language of the track they label.

...Mark