Re: [media] issue-152: documents for further discussion

On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 12:37:45 +0200, Silvia Pfeiffer
<silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 6:49 PM, Philip Jägenstedt <philipj@opera.com>
> wrote:

>>> The use case Silvia suggests seems reasonable (marking on the timeline
>>> what has been played), why is it not good?
>>
>> I've boycotted HTMLMediaElement.played by not implementing it and so far
>> I've never heard a single request for it. I've also never seen controls
>> that
>> expose what has already been played, only what is currently buffered. I
>> know
>> this has been discussed before, but I can't find it in the archives.
>> Then
>> the use case was something like showing or not showing ads depending on
>> what
>> had been watched, I think. IMO, in the absence of compelling use cases
>> it
>> should be removed from both HTMLMediaElement and MediaController. One
>> thing
>> speaking against that is that it's already implemented in WebKit, of
>> course.
>

> Oh, the use case of ads is probably better. FAIK nobody has yet
> implemented a library of ad playing for HTML5 video, which may be why
> you haven't seen a request yet. From what I've heard, the online video
> platform providers are waiting for the ad platform providers to get
> there.

My position on this is that since it's easy to track what's been played
with scripts and I since I haven't seen anything close to an "80% use
case", I think that's exactly what should happen.

--
Philip Jägenstedt
Core Developer